Saturday, August 15, 2009

What I Gained from My Thailand Travel Study Program - Cathi Lee

Academic


I thoroughly enjoyed that our learning space rarely consisted of desks and chairs. It many cases our classroom was our immediate surroundings and communities. We learned through a variety of approaches: academic, fieldwork, community-based, experiential, and service learning.



Learning about Rubber Tree Harvesting

Making Nipa Palm Roof with the Moken on Koh Ra

Sustainable Gardening and Effective water use for Mushroom Growing

Our Beach Survey in Chumpon


Culture

There is no better way to understand a culture than drenching yourself head first into it. Thailand is colorful in many ways, experiencing and witnessing the practices of the religions that are there along with the amazing food, language, and people was just a taste of what the country has to offer. I was fortunate to pick up some of the language and even a Thai nickname, Nam Tok.


Visiting the Lying Buddha Traditional Thai Dancing at Beluga School

Statues at the Kuraburi Buddhist Temple

Parade for a Buddhist Holiday



Personal

I engaged in many personal adventures in Thailand, in attempts to personalize my trip. In return I gained some of my fondness memories. The highlight of my trip in Thailand was ziplining with Flight of the Gibbons in Bangkok - Pattaya.
Halfway through the 26 platforms of ziplines. Playing with an otter in a Tung Nam Dam.

Elephant Trekking in Khao Lak

Feeding the Elephant in Pattaya's Open Zoo

Snorkeling off Chumpon

Overall, I gained an unforgettable experience while in Thailand!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment