Friday, August 14, 2009

Valerie's Gains

About my experience in the Thailand Program 2009:


(left: planting a banana tree)


Academic gains: Before the program, I did not have any idea as to what a mangrove forest looked like, or to give an example of a sustainable livelihood. But now I am more confident in saying that I understand Thailand's coastal ecology to a much greater extent. I can show how to measure sustainability, using indicators of sustainability, and comparing the sustainability in different dimensions. I think I am more capable of performing a lab on my own, and presenting my data in a more organized manner. I have gained awareness of how sustainable my country is compared to another. I understand the difficulty of determining how sustainable a region is and that there are many factors that need to be taken into account before measuring this. I have more experience with working outside in the field and with people who might not communicate in the same way as you, or in the same language. I have the ability now to use assessment tools such as pair-wise rankings and ven diagrams, which could come in handy for the future. I really enjoyed working outside, because that is how I learn best: to learn by doing.

(right: My favorite Thai meal)


Cultural Gains: I didn't know what to expect of Thailand's culture, but once immersed in the society, I felt so welcomed. Everyone is smiling and friendly, and I was excited to use the wai. The wai is something that shows respect and kindness and now being home, I am sad to say there is not a lot of that. I enjoyed walking through the temples in Bangkok and talking to the Monks in Khao Lak, and learning about Buddhism in general. I liked my Thai name, Tawan, and if I ever go back to Thailand, I will introduce myself as so. Speaking Thai was always fun, and Kun and Joom taught me so much. The food in Thailand was delicious. When I saw a rambutan for the first time I took a picture of it, probably looking culturally deprived of Thai food, but after a while, I felt silly because the rambutan was found in all places that I went. I don't handle spicy food very well, being raised eating non-spicy foods, I was not used to the chili and spices. Now I think I have gained some tolerance, and even though it is spicy, I can't help eating the foods. Everything was delcious, and my favorite fruit was the rambutan and dish was the pad see ew. I tried chicken feet and it wasn't too bad. After the program, I feel more open-minded to new things and a new culture. I also have more respect for the preservation of culture in other countries, because with the mix of my many ethnicities, I feel that I don't have a culture or tradition.

Personal Gains: Overall, I really enjoyed my experience in Thailand. I loved working with the children at the Beluga School for Life and Home and Life (see picture). I was able to zipline through tropical rainforests and parasail at Kata beach in Phuket (see picture). I've gained friendships with my peers and mentors. I loved Chumphon and I hope someday I will be back there. I hope to volunteer in Din Dang if I'm in Thailand again. Everything was amazing, the people were so friendly, and I will miss it. I overcame some fears (spiders) and have learned to appreciate everything I have.

Thank you for everything.

Cheers,

Valerie.

No comments:

Post a Comment