Thursday, August 13, 2009

Geoff's Gains


Academic Gains: I learned a lot about the different ways to analyze and measure sustainability in communities and ecosystems. The sustainability of a given system can be looked at not just from an environmental perspective, but also from an economical or cultural (to name a just a few) standpoint. In this picture I'm planting banana trees at one of the most sustainable farms we visited, where multiple crops are grown together to ensure biodiversity and to protect against soil degradation and disease. Of course I also learned about coastal ecology and some of the major environmental threats to coastal ecosystems, such as ocean acidification, warming temperatures, and overfishing.



Cultural Gains: Learning about Thai culture was one of the highlights of the program for me. The friendliness and contentment that most Thai's exhibit was a far cry from what I see in the State's, and has a lot to do with Buddhism being the dominant belief system in the area. The respect Thai people show their leaders and elders also contrasts sharply with western culture. I gained a sense of how these qualities can lead to a more satisfying life, through the understanding that the way one handles oneself and the relationships one forms will ultimately determine happiness, not success as measured by material wealth.
Personal Gains:
I will never forget the stunning beauty of Thailand. Just thinking about the Thai sunsets makes me want to go back. I gained a newfound appreciation of the healing power of nature. It truly heals the soul. 
I also experienced the joys of working with children. I'm typically not good with them, but that changed during my time in Thailand. 
I gained many new friends who I'm sure I'll keep in contact with a long time. If I ever find myself back in Thailand (which I hope to), I will have connections that I wouldn't have had otherwise.


No comments:

Post a Comment