Friday, August 14, 2009

Christina's Gains



Cultural Gains

What stuck me the most about Thai culture was that it possessed such a strong identity. If someone asked me about Thailand, some immediate images would come to mind—breathtaking countryside juxtaposed with the icons rapid development, ornate Buddhist temples with hundreds of shoes outside, the chaos and sensory overload on Khao San Road, and the brilliant sunrises and sunsets on its beaches. Being in Thailand made me realize that culture is something that one earns, and it is also something in which one can take pride. It needs to be recognized and appreciated for retaining its flavor in a world of increasing monotony.



Academic and Personal Gains



Academically, there is much I am thankful for because of this program. It enabled me to meet people on the ground in Thailand working towards sustainable living. It also pushed me to be more active in listening and learning from those with experience in fields that may be of future interest to me. I gained confidence in my abilities to form opinions and vocalize them to others. The dynamism of this program really brought out qualities in myself that I had never seen before, and I am grateful for all of it. The research project was especially a highlight for this trip because it entrusted so much responsibility in the abilities of my team. We were free to make our own decisions and conduct our own research, which was a very memorable way to learn about the community in Kamphuan. In the end, I will never forget what this program has taught and given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment