Friday, August 14, 2009

Angela's (Dao) Gains



Before this program, my views of Thailand were centered in their food, Thai ice tea and beautiful beaches. But I got there and discovered a rich country both culturally and ecologically.


ACADEMIC GAINS
In this program we change desks and books from the classroom, to having classes on the beach, on the forest, and on an island, and even a police station! We took the knowledge gain from the lectures and readings and apply them to the real life. Our education was always community based and service learning where we interacted with the community members and learn how they include sustainable practices in their life. I saw how much these communities care about their environment, from kids to women and elderly they are all involved in community projects which goal is to be self sufficient. Our learning was very hands on, I loved our coastal ecology labs, identifying organisms and measuring water quality, also the restoration projects and interviewing villagers for my final project. We learnt how to measure sustainability using economic, social, and natural and wellbeing indicators. We learnt about the importance of mangrove, water lilies and other edible plants and we did restoration projects for them. I think I learnt more with this kind of education than just being sitting in a classroom listening to a professor.















CULTURAL GAINS

The main cultural gains I found were centered in the Buddhist traditions Thai people practice. It seems to be the center of life, and this might be the cause of why Thai people are so friendly and helpful. They will open their doors and hearts to you. With this program, I had the opportunity to interact with different peoples, from our Thai staff Awe, Joom and Kuhn, to spending the night in the home stay at Ban Talae Nok, were our host was so kind to dress us with her Muslim clothes and where we fell in love with the little Natjawa or “ling ling” as we call her. What I admire most of their culture, is how respectful they are, especially to elders, monks and authority. I also enjoyed learning their skills and making nipa palm roofs, batiks, soaps and adobe bricks. From Thai language, Thai cooking, Thai dancing, I explore their costumes and one of the most memories I have, is of their traditional ceremonies that Awe, Joom and Khun prepare so kindly for us










PERSONAL GAINS
This program in Thailand is indeed and unforgettable experience. The best part of it is all the new people I met, both locals and classmates and friends I made. I’m sure the program wouldn’t be the same without them. This was my first time in an Asian country and I truly experienced their culture and beliefs. I loved their food, their wai, even taking off my shoes, which I felt strange not doing it at home; was even watching their soap operas! I had the chance to interact with different people from different cultures and ages, Buddhist, Muslim, elders, children. I learn to appreciate their culture and I feel more open to interact with people and I to get more involve in simple and “dirty” activities like planting trees or sleeping with mosquito nets. I discover my love for the ocean and I started swimming in it again. I considered myself as a “safe” person who wouldn’t experiment new things but this trip motivate me to change my mind and explore more. I did snorkeling, parasailing and rode a motorcycle and even ate fried worms for the first time! Overall, every single activity was amazing and I’m thankful that I got to live this experience with all of you. I would’ve really regretted it a lot if I didn’t go. I am missing Thailand already and hope that I can go back someday soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment