Friday, August 14, 2009

Natalie's Gains

Academic Gains:




Throughout the program I learned much about the ecological problems that face a nation like Thailand. Since Thailand borders the ocean, many southern Thais have livelihoods that rely on the sea for success. Through the various assigned readings, the labs, and through personally seeing the state of marine ecosystems while snorkeling, I learned a great deal about a variety of problems that trouble the marine ecosystems.
I also learned a lot about tourism in Thailand and the problems it poses. Not only does traditional tourism threaten the environment, but it threatens the native culture. By visiting parts of Thailand that could be considered “off the beaten path” for tourists, we got to see really understand Thailand’s natural ecosystems and what’s at stake for the rapidly developing country.

Cultural Gains:





I learned a great deal about Thai culture through interacting with the Thai people, eating their food, and participating in their cultural traditions. I got to observe how they dress, how they eat, and how they interact. I got to learn a great deal about Thai beliefs, such as Buddhism, speak to Monks, and actually visit awesome temples and palaces (like the Royal Palace) to get visual evidence of the importance of these beliefs to the Thai people, Further, by talking to various mentors along the course of the program, I learned about Thai worldviews, and goals. I learned about their livelihoods, and I got to experience first-hand their incredible hospitality.
One of the most interesting aspects of Thai culture that I got to observe was sexuality. While in Bangkok and Phuket, I learned a great deal about “ladyboys”, a transgender Thai commonality, and various other markings of “sex tourism” such as the numerous brothels that are scattered throughout the country. While initially shocking, I got used to the uncommon sexuality of Thailand and the seeming openness of the Thai people. Yet on the flip side, I also learned about traditional Thai modesty (no sex unless you have the intent to marry, modest clothing) that created an interesting juxtaposition to my initial findings.

Personal Gains:



Mostly from my cultural experiences, I acquired a great deal of personal gains. From my lessons in Thai cooking I was able to return home to cook my friends and family a lavish Thai feast (that tasted remarkably similar to the food we ate in Thailand). I also lost many fears while in Thailand. I left home with an insane fear of filth, bugs, and less-than-luxurious accommodations. After using numerous squat toilets without toilet paper, greeting the expected large spiders and lizards in nearly every room, and getting dirty on the daily, I noticed my irrational fears and expectations melted away. I realized just how unnatural of a lifestyle I lead back home and how a less clean or bug-free home does not equal happiness, but rather creates sheltered and fearful people. I would recommend a trip to Thailand to any westerner who fears the same things I used to fear. It was an amazingly eye opening experience.
I also gained an appreciation for a culture that values interpersonal relations over personal gains. All of the Thai people we met were so friendly and would undoubtedly make time to talk to you whenever you showed interest. In the US, people are too caught up with their busy professional lives to care for those around them. Recognizing this difference has made me a more attentive and loving person. I recognize now that my happiness will never spring from how much money I have in the bank, but rather how much time I’ve spent with those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment