Friday, August 14, 2009

Suza's Gains


[My Interpretation of the Life Map]

Academic Gains:

Most of my academic gains came very subtly. I always knew that during this program I was going to be challenged in the way I was going to be taught. So I was ready to take on many of the developmental tools - from the life maps to the venn diagrams.

[Working hard in Chumpoun]

But what I found to be the most surprising was that I gained a lot of knowledge from our fellow peers. My knowledge and worldview has definitely broadened after meeting so many talented and passionate social reformers. I look forward to learning more about the world through myself, scholars, and my peers.

Personal Gains:

During this trip I had experience many firsts. My first time on a plane, my first time travelling alone, my first time planting rice, my first time on a horse...and the list goes on.

[Horse riding at Din Dang's]

But besides experiencing a lot of new things in a different country, I also came on this trip to find a better understanding of myself and my passions. I know that as a dynamic person my passion will constantly change, but I really learned that I can not always separate things in my life. I know that I've been searching for harmony in my life, but I learned the only harmony that will suit me is the one I make for myself.

[Posing in the Royal Palace]

Cultural Gains:

The culture of Thailand is very similar to my own, Cambodian. From the food to the appareal a lot of the similar Thai values have been taught to me by my family. But what is interesting is that my values have an American twist to it. So actually having to wai, being mindful of my choice of clothing, and taking off my shoes was weird. I tend to think that following tradition is like oppression, forcing yourself to do things but I soon learned that it's beyond listening to what is being told, rather it's a form of respect. And when Thai people smile, they really smile....that was refreshing.

[Children at Home & Life]

No comments:

Post a Comment