Thursday, August 13, 2009

Stephanie Falzone's Gains





















Academic Gains

I learned a lot about coastal ecology and more about our affect on the ocean through acidification, waste, and overfishing. I also gained knowledge about sustainability, and about mangroves and sea turtles from Claudio and Monica. I also learned how to do social research, which I did not have experience with before this program.



Cultural Gains

I learned a lot about Thai culture and about Buddhism through our talks with monks and with our visits to temples, and through asking Kun, Jum, and Awe questions. I gained knowledge of Thai cooking from our cooking class on Koh Ra and of Thai language from Kun, and got to experience two Buddhist ceremonies.









































Personal Gains


I met a lot of great people, some of which I will have class with next year and hope to work with in Environment 180. We had some memorable experiences together and they helped me conquer my fear of heights when we climbed up some very steep steps in Bangkok, and gave me a great 21st birthday party. I am also glad to have met some more people in my major. I finally went snorkeling for the first time and got to see a relatively pristine coral reef, and learned how to make a batik, which I loved doing.




No comments:

Post a Comment